Monday, February 27, 2017

In a slump

Age 3. Reading. Of course.

I have been a reader for as long as I can remember.  Not a casual, "Oh, I'll read for a bit to pass the time" kind of reader.  I'm a "Life is not worth living if I don't have a book with me" kind of reader.  Last year alone, I read 359 books.  I don't say that to brag, but rather to let you know that I am a reader. An avid one.

Over the course of my reading life, I've gone through cycles.  I'll binge on trashy romances and then make it up to myself by reading something literary.  I read more young adult books than I could possibly count when I was teaching seventh grade ELA.  Now, my reading rate is much higher because I'm reading mostly picture books and early chapter books.

Or at least I was.

About age 12. Reading. Of course.

Because right now, I'm not reading much of anything.  Since returning to school after winter break, I have not been able to find a book that will hold my attention.  I've tried just about every type of book I can think of to get myself back on track.  I've started books I've heard about on NPR, ones that I read about in People magazine.  Books recommended by friends, books I bought  from the Scholastic flyer.  Books for adults.  Books for kids.  Books for teens.

Have I found that book that will give me my reading mojo back yet?  Nope.  And to be honest, I'm kind of concerned about that.  I think this is the longest I've ever gone without finishing a book, at least since high school.  Maybe it's that I'm preoccupied by life right now, and my focus is elsewhere.  Perhaps I'm too distracted by Facebook and Twitter to focus on a longer text.

Age 48. Reading Kind of.
Or maybe I just need some time and space to lose myself in words again.  Spring break is just four weeks away, and as of right now, that week is wide open.  Dan will be at work.  Molly will be out of town with the orchestra.  Abby will be with friends or making art in her room.  That leaves a whole week of quiet for just me and the dog and a stack of books.

Now... how do I figure out what I'll read first?


No comments:

Post a Comment